Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Toss it in a pot Tuesday

I know some of you Minnesotans get annoyed with talk of the weather.  But, I'm going to go ahead and go there.  IT'S COLD!  I don't care how tough you are, or how long you lived up north in the wind tunnel that is Moorhead, MN, -27 degrees below zero windchill is cold.

On a day as cold as yesterday, and a day when I could barely move after trying (maybe foolishly) to keep up with my husband during a workout, chili seemed like the perfect cure-all.  Warm, steaming, and it doesn't require too much bending and maneuvering around the kitchen.

But I couldn't just make the same ol' chili.  That would be boring.  We in The World's Smallest Kitchen dont. do. boring.  After being newly introduced to ground chipotle pepper, I had to add that smokiness into the mix.

"New" Chili

15 oz tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies  (go ahead and be brave and get the "medium" version)
15 oz black beans, drained
15 oz kidney beans, drained
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon

You can make this one in the crockpot, or on the stovetop.  If you do it on the stovetop, make sure you watch it, and simmer it slowly.  It just might burn, not that that's ever happened to me before.

Top with gobs of sour cream and cheese, and don't forget the oyster crackers!!!

1 comment: