Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, February 7, 2011

Much Easier Monday

Somebody once said the more colors in your food, the healthier it is.  Or, maybe I made that up.  Nevertheless, when I have a colorful meal, I feel good about it.


We in the World's Smallest Kitchen have been trying our darndest to go meatless, and have been going strong for awhile now.  If you are looking for a "meaty" post, you might just have to wait until one of us cracks.


I've been trying to get creative with our abundance of beans and found this recipe on Kitchen Parade, and thought I'd doctor it up a bit!


Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad


2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
15 oz whole kernel corn
15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
1 poblano pepper


1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp ground chipotle chilis
1/4 tsp sage
1/8 tsp thyme
Salt


I discovered through the joys of the internet that you can steam sweet potatoes in your rice cooker steamer pot.  This would have been so very helpful on Friday night.  Steam them, I did.






It only takes about 20-25 minutes...and it's so easy!!


In the meantime I seeded the poblano pepper, and decided to try my hand at broiler roasting a pepper.  You may remember my wrist-killing red pepper roasting method.


I cut it in half and stuck it in the broiler until it looked like this.





Again, soooo much easier.  You live, you learn I guess.  I waited 5 minutes and the skin slipped right off and I chopped 'er up.


I drained the corn and beans and mixed the remaining ingredients in a bowl.





The sweet potatoes were done at this point so I tossed it all in the bowl.







Very colorful, and therefore healthy?  I'm pretty sure in the summer you could grill up some fresh sweet corn and it would be fabulous.  Mmmm...summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment