Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, February 21, 2011

Snowy Sunday

ANOTHER epic weekend blizzard found us happily cooped up at home yesterday.  We watched the snow fall and listened to the thunder (thundersnow!), and were way to lazy for our own good.

In honor of my shiny new birthday present,


I made this no-knead bread recipe again, but this time I didn't substitute or change anything.

Best decision I ever made?


I think yes.  If you own a dutch oven, make this bread.  In fact, you should have made it yesterday.  It will change your life.  As soon as I can make it work whole-wheat, I will let you know.

But truly, what good is bread if you can't sop something up with it?

I give you...

Soupy Ratatouille (not to be confused with the Disney Film)

2 tsp olive oil, or some sprays from your MISTO can
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 eggplant, cubed
1 zucchini, sliced
1  red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
Thyme
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper

First, I had to chop an onion.  It wasn't quite the disaster it was the first time, but close.




Ooof, I don't know if I'll ever get used to this.

Sautée the onion and garlic in the olive oil with some thyme and rosemary.  Add in the rest of the vegetables progressively, being careful not to burn.

Oh, and you'll also have to chop and seed those tomatoes, here's a good way.




"X" the tomatoes at the bottom and blanch them.






AKA- plop them in boiling water for 1 minute, and then run them under cold water.  The skin will peel right off.

Once you have added the tomatoes and tomato sauce, season and cover.

Let it simmer until the vegetables are tender.


We ate ours with some whole wheat spaghetti.




And of course some of that fabulous bread...



Let it snow!

1 comment:

  1. I need a dutch oven! Ah love this. I think blogging should be everyone's job :D

    ReplyDelete