Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, February 7, 2011

A Friday First

Friday night ends up being pizza night around here just about every other week.   I was raised on Friday night pizza night.

Lately, I've been running out of new, inventive, healthy things to do with pizza.  As I sat on Friday during 6(!) hours of middle school talent show auditions, I thought of the butternut squash sitting politely on our counter, and it occurred to me.  Butternut squash pizza.

On my commute home, I told Matthew of my brilliant, divine, inspiration, and for the first time he sounded...well...dubious.  I took it as a challenge.

Butternut Squash Pizza

Pizza dough, aged
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar free syrup
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella
1 tsp sage

Place the squash on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, syrup, salt, and pepper.  Bake at 375 for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until the squash is mashable.


If need be, spend your hour of roasting time discussing middle school talents (or lack thereof) with your husband.

Smush, smash, and mash (technical terms) squash onto aged dough.  Top with cheeses and sage.



Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.  But for the love of all that is holy, please watch it, because every oven is different.  Especially our "fun" sized oven.



The dubious husband and I really enjoyed it.  If you aren't a fan of the whole savory-sweet thing, just omit the syrup.  Oh, and come and eat our leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment