Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, February 21, 2011

Scientific Saturday

Since this blog began, I've been brainstorming ideas to expand it, and daydreaming of making a business out of it.

Fear not, fellow teachers, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but it's fun to plan.  Luckily, I can spend my day happily in the kitchen, and my husband will (happily) taste-test my creations.

Saturday was an experiment in gourmet cupcakes, which is so 2008, but I don't really care.  I'm open to business suggestions.

Orange Almond Cupcake

6 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest

1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp orange zest
Slivered almonds

1) Cream butter and sugar together,  which is a process I will never get sick of when using this lovely mixer.


2) Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.

3) Add in the flour, salt, and baking powder, mix until  combined.

4) Add in milk, orange juice, and zest, until your kitchen smells of oranges and heaven.


5) Bake in a lined muffin pan at 350 for about 15 minutes.


Make frosting...

1) Combine all ingredients and beat until combined.

2) Place in a ziploc bag and put in refrigerator.

3) DO NOT FROST CUPCAKES PREMATURELY

4) When cupcakes are truly cooled, cut tip off of ziploc bag and pipe frosting fancily, so that you will feel truly talented.

5) Top with slivered almonds.



6) Force your husband, father, sister, and everyone you know to eat these cupcakes and say nice things to you.

It will make your Saturday better.

No comments:

Post a Comment