Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mexican Monday

You may have fond memories of my husband's love for pulled pork.  Well, as hubby and I ventured from Alexandria to St. Paul Sunday, we hashed out our schedule for December.  Like many musicians, we have little time for sleeping/eating/breathing in December. I wanted to make a meal on Monday that would provide us with some easily re-heatable leftovers.  The pulled pork immediately came to mind, probably because we just finished eating it last week.

But why do I recipe I've already tried?  Boooooring.

Pork Carnitas, minus the lard

Pork loin roast
4 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
2 tbsp mole sauce
3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 can dice tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
Cumin
Salt

This recipe required a little "night before" prep.  I know, I know, how sophisticated and prepared of me!  I browned the pork on all sides in a pan.

It's at this point in the story that things got a little scary in the itty bitty kitchen.  The various recipes I was improvising upon suggested I place holes in the raw pork with a knife, and then insert the raw garlic slivers into the pork....

Wait. What?  You want me to do what with the pork?  Being the good sport that I am, I took a deep breath and told Matthew to take a picture.


Note the massive amount of garlic.

I rubbed salt, cumin and maybe a little chili powder on the pork and wrapped it in saran wrap and threw it in the fridge.  I then eagerly washed my hands...about 4 times.



The next morning at precisely 8:15, I threw the pork in the crock pot with the remaining ingredients.


8 hours later our apartment smelled like Chipotle, so I decided to shred the pork.  I put it on tortillas and served.  Then I forgot to take a picture.

Ooops.  It was really good.

To distract you from my error, I give you a wedding picture.



Isn't Matt's sister the cutest? 

Photo by Samantha Meyer of Samantha Meyer Photography.

Tonight's dinner is still digesting in my belly, more to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment