Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Spicy/Slippery Sunday

Come on Minnesotans...I couldn't resist the slippery title.  Raise your hand if you or someone you know spun out on the ice today!

So as not to bore those of you in warmer climes, I'll "get to the goods".  While I like to think that my Norwegian taste buds have worn off on my husband, it appears some of his sophisticated Californian taste buds have worn off on me.  A combination of my husband's influences, and our lovely weather left me craving something spicy today.

Black Bean Soup

2 cans black beans, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can tomatoes with green chilies, Rotel, or Market Pantry brand ('cuz it's cheaper)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin


I sautéed the garlic in the pan with the oil.  Downside: had to touch the raw garlic with my fingers.


Ewwww!  I then took out my handy immersion blender AKA: greatest invention ever.  I blended the chicken stock and one can of the beans together, but not for too long, nobody wants black bean juice.


I threw the bean juice, rotel, other can of beans, corn, and cumin into a stock pot, and simmered for about 30 minutes.

But every pot of soup screams for something to be dipped in it...so I needed something else.  I thought tortilla chips would be perfect, but not just any tortilla chips.  The restaurant kind, the super addicting, saltily-delicious restaurant kind.

Homemade Deceptively Healthy Tortilla Chips

5 corn tortillas, cut into wedges
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Juice of one lime
Salt

This one isn't too hard to figure out: lay the tortilla wedges on a baking sheet, sprinkle with lime juice, add spices.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes, remove from oven, flip, and re-season.  Bake for 6 minutes again.  Eat.



You may have noticed from the above picture that I ventured outside my comfort zone and got the "Medium" rotel, instead of the "mild".  Actually, I bought both, assuming I'd decide when I got home.  Hey, they were only 67 cents.  While the soup made my nose run a little, it was delicious, and almost spicy enough to make me forget I have to scrape an inch of ice off of my car in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment