Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Thursday

Newly developed cooking skills means a Thanksgiving post is a must right?  Of course.  I know you were waiting for it, and discussing it around your respective tables.

Being a newly married, adult woman also means new Thanksgiving responsibilities beyond eating lefse.  The pies were my job.  Most of the pie-making happened last night after our icy trek from St. Paul.  While I had intended to make the crust from scratch, weather did not permit, so it was frozen crusts, but filling from scratch.

The two more complicated recipes came from Bon Appétit, and I didn't fuss with them much because, well, it's Thanksgiving.  This is serious business.

Apple Pie with Oat Streusel

 Too many apples....




*Hannah's Thanksgiving Wisdom:  Younger brothers, while they may grow taller and older, will still always be younger brothers, and therefore still able to irritate you.  Mine is in law school...can you tell?




I guess 3 pounds means 3 pounds,  pictured in the bowl is our leftover apples.

My pie helper.

*Hannah's Thanksgiving Wisdom:  if you make a sweet-awesome pie, please take a picture of the finished product!


Wild Blueberry and Cranberry Pie


Too pretty to eat.

*Hannah's Thanksgiving Wisdom:  Cornstarch, if you've never used it before, comes in a box.


Lattice topping= from scratch.  I'll go ahead and pat myself on the back.


*Hannah's Thanksgiving Wisdom: If your pie looks a lot like the picture in the magazine, show it off.


My final pie was my first attempt as a wife, my standby, my sure thing.

Key Lime Pie (too easy for a picture)

1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 graham cracker crust (pre-purchased or from scratch)

Combine liquid ingredients and pour into pie crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Refrigerate and top with:

Whipped Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Whip in a chilled bowl, but not too long.  Top pie, or just eat directly from the bowl.


Caution:  The useful part of my blog ends here, the following is an assortment of our Thanksgiving, in pictures.




Sister Griffin shows off her apron, and sock monkey slippers.

 My parents' kitchen is everything our is not: large, trendy, and a good hang-out spot.


 Husband does some "light" seminary reading pre-turkey.


 Father Griffin dons his "bib" for turkey carving.


 He just couldn't resist, and Mother Griffin couldn't resist taking a picture.

 Ready for our feast.


Awesome artwork by my awesome Grandpa.


I wish we could be with all our family and friends on this Thanksgiving, but wherever you are I hope it is filled with Thanks, Laughter, Fun, and....pie.


Blog Guest Credits:


Photography-- Doug Griffin


Pie Helping and Dishwashing-- Grace Griffin


Taste Tester-- Matthew Fleming


Annoying Little Brother-- Samuel Griffin


Artwork-- James Houglum


Maker of our Thanksgiving Feast--Mary Griffin


Most Popular non-pie Thanksgiving dish-- Lefse, with the appropriate butter/sugar ratio.


Actress to play Hannah in upcoming blog-inspired film:  Anne Hathaway, or possibly Mary Louise Parker, if it's an edgier film.

No comments:

Post a Comment