Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Take Two Tuesday

I'm sure you all remember my first risotto attempt.  Remember?  Red Velvet cake, and then risotto.  Ah yes, I said cake, now you remember.

Regardless, Tuesday found us here with an abundance of weird ingredients.  Kale, broccoli, bad white wine, arborio rice.  Because, as my husband pointed out, you can't call arborio rice risotto until you make risotto.  Whatever.

Most importantly, Tuesday found us with a shiny new stainless steel pot.  Here in the World's Smallest Kitchen, we get really excited about these things, and by we, I mean me.


Shiiiiiinnnnny.



Whatever you have on hand Risotto


2 cups arborio rice
4 cups fat free chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp butter
Salt
Pepper
Broccoli
Kale
Carrots
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon


I first preheated the oven and roasted the carrots an broccoli as I have been know to do.  I toasted the "arborio rice" (as Matthew would say) in the butter.  I added the wine, salt, and pepper, until the wine had cooked off.  Then comes the part that makes the itty bitty kitchen itty bitty, and also really warm.  You ladle in the stock a cup at a time, until all the liquid has cooked off.  Heat the stock first, or the rice will overcook.  Which is what happened to me

I folded in all the vegetables, including the kale.  I seasoned the rice and added in the cheese and lemon.

I corrected my mistakes from my last attempt at risotto, but didn't really improve it all, because I made different mistakes.  Isn't that just the way life works?


It was still good.  Sticky, gumminess, and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment