Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sticky Saturday

Matthew spent the night traipsing all over Minneapolis with a bunch of teenagers, so I decided to make him cinnamon rolls last night.  I made a "low-fat" version, and I think the turned out pretty mediocre.

Cinnamon Rolls with lots of Icing

1 Cup skim milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 package yeast
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp pure almond extract
1/4 raisins


I heated the milk, oil, sugar, and salt to lukewarm on the stove while I activated the yeast in 3 tbsp lukewarm water.  This was my first problem, I'm fairly certain the yeast did not "activate" properly.  Anyway, I mixed the yeast in with the milk and poured it into the bowl, and added the flower a little bit at a time.  I kneaded it, and put it in a covered bowl to rise for 1 hour.


It was supposed to double in size, but I'm not so sure.  I'm not great with dimensions.

I rolled it out into a rectangle, which I was very exact about.


I mixed the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, brushed them on the dough and sprinkled on the raisins.

We were running low on raisins.

I rolled it up, though not tight enough, my second mistake.  And cut it into rolls, I placed them in a greased pan, and covered it to rise for another hour.

I took Matthew to church and came home and this is what I found.


All the filling had ooze out onto the bottom of the pan.  What's a girl to do?  I just left it, and hoped for the best.  They baked for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  The result?  The filling turned into this hard, sticky, candy at the bottom of the roll.  So I'm sure it can't be all bad.  But I didn't try it, I'm a wuss.

The icing, this roll's redemption.

3 tbsp milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp almond extract

Mix them together.  The end.  Oh, and add some cinnamon too.



Here's Matthew's lonely roll, the rest are in the freezer.


I'll let you know the verdict, but I think they look a little like the "cinni-minis" you used to be able to get at Burger King.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment