Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Making up for lost time, on Monday

Look out kale, move over squash, get out of the way sweet potato.  I have a new weird food obsession.

Duh-duh-duh! Tofu!

After several wise suggestions from my readers, I determined one of two things needed to happen:  I needed to squeeze out the excess water from the tofu with a towel, or buy a tofu press.

Well neither of those things happened, because I'm too lazy.  Stay tuned for my own makeshift tofu press.

Tofu Stir Fry

1 block extra firm tofu
2 tbsp oil of your choice (I used my MISTO can...duh)
1 red pepper
1/2 head broccoli
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Things you will need for your own at-home tofu press:


*A baking sheet
*Tin foil
*A heavy (cast iron works) skillet
*A barely used (albeit expensive) jar of tahini

Place the tofu on the baking sheet and lay foil over the top.  Put skillet on top, and then place jar on top to complete the pyramid.  Keep it this way for 30 minutes.


Laziness occasionally pays off.

Dice tofu and mix together juice, soy sauce, honey, and seasonings.  Marinate tofu in mixture for about 2 hours.


Oil the heck out of your pan, and fry up that tofu.  Reserve the excess marinade.


The brown flecks are good.  It means the texture is more like meat.

In the meantime steam up some veggies, or you can fry them too.


Toss the tofu, veggies, and remaining marinade with some soba noodles, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta.  We were low on soba noodles so I used a little combination.


Voila! I'm a tofu-believer!

2 comments:

  1. My mom just hand presses the tofu after rinsing it under cold water from the faucet. She wraps a thin kitchen cloth around it and presses on it until she thinks it's done. lol... Your method seems good, too.... It also helps to get the firmest tofu available for recipes like this so the tofu doesn't fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this actually looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete