Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Whomp, Whomp, Wednesday.

As my students would say, "epic fail".

A bag of cubed squash has been lingering in our freezer since my latest squash craze, and I thought it was the perfect time to try out a butternut squash soup recipe.

1 medium butternut squash, cubed and cooked
3 granny smith apples, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
4 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt
Pepper

Cook the squash using your method *note--this is probably where I screwed up, so don't take my word for it*.  I steamed it.


More on that later.

Chop apples.


Sauté apples, squash and spices in butter.

After a few minutes and in flour and stir constantly.

Slowly add in stock.


Mmmmm....baby food.

What was the problem, you ask?

The apples were delicious.  The spicing was right.  The squash...well it tasted...funky.  It had a weird texture and an even weirded taste.

Here's my question readers:  should I have cooked it before I froze it,  should I have cooked it a different way post-freezing, or should I have just tossed it?

1 comment:

  1. I have never had a soup made from squash that had anything in it. It has always been served to me strained so you only get the broth. I think of squash soups for as sides or appetizers right before the main course.

    As for the squash, I think you might get better results if you boil the squash instead, using an immersion blender to get the puree you wanted. I might add less flour, too. You said soup; the picture says curry. :)

    ReplyDelete