Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, March 21, 2011

Supplication Sunday


Matthew has been feeling a little school stress lately, and perhaps a tiny bit bummed that I am venturing to California without him later this week.
So I told him I would make whatever he wanted for dinner.  I think I might be crazy.
His request (or supplication because it goes well with Sunday) was Pad Thai. New territory for me, so I gladly obliged.
Vegetarian Pad Thai
  • 1/3 cup chili sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 pounds WIDE rice stick noodles
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 2 cups bean sprouts
We first ventured out to buy two unknown ingredients













Fish sauce smells just like it sounds.  Gross.  But it adds a nice flavor.
First I brought a pot of water to a boil and then turned off the heat and added the noodles to the pot to soak.
In the meantime I combined the first 6 ingredients in a bowl to make a sauce.






I also whisked the eggs in a bowl, but didn’t take a picture because that’s boring.
I drained the noodles (we didn’t buy the wide kind, because they didn’t have any).





The oil and garlic went into a pan for about 1 minute, and then I added the eggs to scramble.
Finally I tossed in the noodles, sauce, cilantro, and bean sprouts for about 1 minute.






Serve with lime and peanuts.
We are headed to visit my parents tomorrow, and my mother has promised to cook whatever Matthew likes for dinner.
Someone is a little spoiled, and this time it really isn’t me!

1 comment: