Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, March 5, 2011

That tastes like meat! Thursday

I've been on a new mission to convince Matthew that tofu can taste JUST like meat.  So I sent him out on a little mission of his own.  Matthew is a huge barbecue fan, and I told him that if he selected his favorite barbecue sauce, I would make barbecue-ed tofu.

My how my taste buds have evolved since the days of spaghettios.

Barbecue Tofu

1 block extra firm tofu
1/4 cup barbecue sauce of your choice
Oil for frying

Kale Side

1/2 bunch kale
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt
Pepper

First I made my makeshift tofu press again.  I know you remember.

I fried up the tofu until it was golden brown.

(browner than this)

Remove from heat and mix in barbecue sauce.  The more pressed and fried your tofu is, the less likely it is to crumble in the sauce.

To make the kale:  sauté kale and garlic in glistening oil until kale is dark, dark green.  Squeeze on lemon juice and season.

Eat.

Remind your husband he is eating tofu.



Not meat.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious to me! - another verion is to mix your tofu like like your would a hamburger patty, w/ onions, bread crumbs, an egg....broil it on your George Foreman grill - w/ BBQ sauce, serve it on a bun with all the typical dressings... Please DON"T post if it's not good. :)) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom does something like that. She's made it for years. You take firm tofu (not extra firm) and mush it up (after you rinse it and press it). Then you mix finely chopped carrots, onion, garlic and green onion in with it. My mom usually puts in equal parts tofu and raw ground pork, but you can make it without meat, too. Then, you make little balls out of the mixture and press into a little patty (if the mixture doesn't stick together well, just add some flour to toughen it up a little). You dip that in egg and fry on the stove until golden brown. IT'S MY FAVORITE SIDE DISH THINGY MY KOREAN MOTHER MAKES!!! Maybe I will have to bring an example when I visit. lol

    ReplyDelete