Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Maybe this time Monday

Yes I made risotto.  Again.  Come on folks, I've got to get it right!  Plus, I read an online article about how using a cast iron skillet is the way Italians make risotto.  I have no idea if this is true.  But, I had to show off.


That's right.  My (I guess you could call it ours) very own cast iron skillet (special thanks to my awesome father-in-law).  It matches our tea kettle, which if you know me, you know makes me happy.  I like matching.  And order.

I was inspired by a new cookbook to embrace squash.  So...

Butternut Squash Risotto with Kale

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Sage to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt
Pepper


After peeling and cubing the squash (steam it first, it helps), I wasn't going to repeat my mistakes.  So, I threw the squash in a pot with the stock to keep it warm.


I put the oil in my/our skillet, and sautéed the garlic.  Side note:  I was able to slice the garlic without touching it, thanks to this garlic slicer from Santa, who I also think is my mom.  Sorry believers.


I added in the rice to toast, and let the wine cook off.  I added in a ladle full of stock and squash.  Wash. Rinse Repeat.  4 hours and a lot of sweat later, I added the kale and spices.  Success!  Not as mushy as last time, but, decidedly orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment