Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, January 3, 2011

Stocked Up Sunday (or, another Pork Post)

Yes blog-readers, I have returned to The World's Smallest Kitchen.  And, with a bang I might add.

Matthew and I returned to St. Paul yesterday after a whirlwind holiday break full of (but not limited to):  some scary blizzard drives, a Minnesota Christmas, matching pajamas, a plane ride with wifi, delicious restaurants in the Napa Valley, and lots of great (albeit rainy) visits in California.

One of the benefits of having a hilarious blog is that people know what to get you for Christmas.  Our cupboards and shelves are now FULL of kitchen gadgets and cookbooks all too awesome to mention in one blog.  So, I won't.   I plan on sprinkling them about casually.  So, for today I leave with a recipe for pork tenderloin from an issue of Clean Eating which I received in one of my 4 (!) Christmas Stockings.  See: Spoiled.

Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Glaze

1 lb Pork Tenderloin, fat removed and patted dry
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup pomegranate juice (the most expensive thing on our grocery list, but pretty worth it)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees, and lined up my spices so I could give myself a little pep talk, or wait for Matthew to return from Target with the missing paprika.


I rubbed the spices on the pork (eww, raw meat),  and browned it in the oil on all sides.  I plopped it in a baking dish and set the timer for 20 minutes.

After draining the fat from the pork pan, I brought the pomegranate juice to a boil in the same pan.  I let it boil until it had reduced by about half.  I took it off the heat and said "for 7 bucks, this glaze better be good".  I added in the vinegar, salt, and a little garlic powder.


I pulled the pork out of the oven and tented it under some foil.  At least I think I tented it, because I'm not really sure what "tenting it" means.  I let the pork rest and set the table.

Disclaimer:  While the pork may look bloody and rare, it is actually the color of the pomegranate glaze, which was not glaz-y enough in my opinion, which gives the pork the appearance that it may walk off the plate at any moment.


While I fretted about my ceremonial return to the kitchen, Matthew said it was "off the chain", which is a phrase I sincerely hope he never uses again.

Beware blog-readers, our fridge is just as stocked with awesome and random things as our cupboards are.  Many meals are in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment