Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Friday, October 29, 2010

Finally! Friday

Well, parent-teacher conferences have come to an end.  I know you are all sighing in relief that I will be able to blog more frequently!

After a 16 hour day yesterday, my husband graciously offered to make dinner.   He used the leftover shredded chicken from Sunday, added some fajita seasoning and BAM! Insta-taco!  The chicken was still pretty moist, and the tacos were delicious.




But you know me, the kitchen projects never stop at easy.  I was looking for a fun, Friday night, husband and wife, kitchen project.  Earlier today, I came upon the perfect thing.  I could practically hear my husband's shouts of delight when I looked at the pictures.

I give you the Chocolate Malt Cupcake.

1 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (it says NOT dutch process, which is fine, because I don't know what that is)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Nothing could be closer to perfection for Matthew, who orders a "hot fudge malt with extra malt powder", at the drive-thru, every time, while the teenaged Dairy Queen employee begrudgingly rolls her eyes.  We ventured out to get some malt powder, and got to work.

Matthew melted the chocolate in the coffee, while I mixed up the dry ingredients.  I beat the egg, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla together, and added in the coffee mixture.  I then added the dry ingredients.  The batter went into our lovely new muffin pan.  They baked at 300 for about 20 minutes, I was worried because the batter was runny, but they look like gooey fluffs of heaven right now!


I then made the frosting by processing 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of malt powder and 9 tbsp of softened butter in the food processer.  With the motor running, I added in 1/4 cup of hot water.  We taste-tested this, and it got Matthew's "extra-malty" stamp of approval!


Logan is coming over (big surprise), and Geneva too, so we haven't tasted these yet.  But, I was so proud of their Martha Stewart-like look that I took several pictures.






1 comment:

  1. So yummy!!! I will have to try this cupcake recipe next weekend when we go visit jake's family in Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete