Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Meal Menu: Vegetarian Chili and Low-Cal Cornbread

Let me just preface this by saying I WILL get better at taking pictures of meals while I make them.  I started this afternoon with some chili.  We typically don't keep a lot of meat around, so it was vegetarian.

I used

1 giant can of tomato sauce
Diced tomatoes
1 beautiful bell pepper
2 cans of your choice of beans (I like kidney and garbanzo)
1 cup of whole kernel corn
2 tbsp chili powder
1 dash cumin
1 dash black pepper

I have bland Norwegian taste buds, so I tend to go light in the spice department.  I keep the chili powder out so Matt can spice it up.

I started with this beautiful pepper, purchased from our local corner store, which looks like a gas station, but actually has the most lovely produce!




I diced the pepper, then softened it a bit in a pan with some olive oil.


I added in the sauce, veggies, beans, and spices, and let the whole thing simmer for a good hour.

The end product looked like this (before I ate it!)

The trickier recipe of the day was low-calorie cornbread.  The "low calorie" part is basically just using egg whites and a little less sugar than normal.

I used:

1 1/2 cups yellow organic cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 egg whites
1 3/4 cups organic buttermilk
3 tbsp canola oil
1 cup whole kernel sweet corn

I mixed all the dry ingredients together, I tend to use our eating space to do this, since we have little-no counter space.


I whisked the egg whites and added in the oil and buttermilk.

When I combined the dry and wet ingredients it was more of a dough than a batter, so I upped the buttermilk from 1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups, and it turned out fine.  Finally, I added in the corn.  I greased a 9x13 pan, and poured it in.

I baked it at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes.  It came out like this...so yummy.


It serves about 16 people, and it's only about 120 calories, so that was another added bonus.

One of the best things about Minnesota in the fall is honeycrisp apples.  Because this is my blog I will go ahead and say that honeycrisp apples are the best apple EVER.  Matt and I shared one for dinner, because they are ginormous.


In closing I would like to say that this was not the best meal I ate today.  Matthew and I ventured out to Barbette today (because we had a coupon).  I had a Cobb Salad with super fresh veggies, and he had a buckwheat crepe with eggs and brie cheese.  barbette.com  You should go there.  Especially if you have a Blue Sky Living Guide coupon book.  It has also gotten a bunch of rave reviews, but I don't want to sound like a snob.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I'll have to try this on Jake. Looks awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete