Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Super Saturday (Part One)

Yeah, that's right, you heard me.  Two blogs: one day!  Lucky you!

My favorite blog bon appetempts takes really tricky gourmet recipes from fancy magazines and chefs, and tries to replicate them in a real human being's kitchen.  Because I have the WHOLE DAY (well almost) today, I decided to recreate a bunch of fancy recipes of my own.

Last night, I couldn't sleep so I got up super early this morning and made Matthew:

Spiced Waffles with Caramelized Apples (umm yum!)

The Apples

1 medium apple (honey crisp of course), peeled and cored
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp butter
1/3 c whipping cream

*I did take pictures of the process, but had technical difficulties, so I lost most of them.  I know you're heartbroken*

I melted the butter in a skillet, and poured the sugar over the top.  I stirred until the sugar melted, and then added the apples.  When the apples were brown and tender (in about 10 minutes, as the recipe indicated), I added the cream.  I stirred until it thickened in honey crispy, caramelly goodness, and then set the apples aside.  Hey...Bon Appetit said I could!

The Waffles

2/3 cup plus 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (already sounds fancy right?)
6 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground coriander
Large pinch of cloves
3/4 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp honey
1 egg, separated
2 tbsp melted butter

I mixed all the dry ingredients together, until it smelled like Christmas.  Then I separated the egg and set the white aside in a small bowl.  I combined the buttermilk, honey, and egg yolk.  I add them to the Christmasy smelling dry ingredients, and also added the melted butter.  I beat the egg yolk until it was "stiff, but not dry".  Actually, I just beat for awhile, I have no clue what "stiff but not dry" means.  I folded in the egg white.

It was at this point that one major mistake (gasp) occurred.  I preheated our waffle iron (a wedding gift), and greased it well.  The recipe said "liberally" and not "well" and apparently the two are not synonymous.  My first waffle was a crumby mess.  Waffles #2 and #3, however, were delicious looking (and tasting).  I reheated the waffles, poured them over the top, added a touch (touch is a very "bon appetit" word) of syrup....and...duh duh DUH!





Matthew literally said "I think I'm in heaven" about 7 times.  I guess it was good.

But, in case you were worried that said husband will have a "lazy Saturday", never fear.  Apparently gourmet recipes, leave a larger wake.  Here's our kitchen in its current state.


Stay tuned.  I will be back later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment