Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Found it! Friday

Story time:

Approximately 1 year ago, we were sitting in a house in Eagan with our dear friend Sophie.  She presented us with some of the best sugar cookies I have EVER had.  EVER.

I have tried in vain to recreate this recipe.  Most of these attempts have ended in "epic fails".  This past week I had a thought.

Self:  "those cookies were really almond-y, what if I used almond paste".

Use it I did.

Cookies, as yet, unnamed

1/2 cup almond paste
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp almond extract

I diced the almond paste in the food processor.  I added in the butter and sugar, and combined.  I then added the egg and pulsed until combined.  The remaining ingredients went in and pulsed until they formed a dough.  Resist the temptation to eat all the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour.

Make the icing.

Icing

3 tbsp hot water
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 drops green food coloring
3 cups powdered sugar

Stir all the ingredients together, and place in your piping bag.  Oh wait, I mean your ziploc bag, and throw in the fridge.

I rolled out the cookies, made a few cutouts, and threw them in a 325 oven for 10 minutes.

After the cookies had cooled (mostly).  I cut a hole in the ziploc bag and made my husband ice the cookies so I wouldn't make a mess.  I was on sprinkle duty.


I think (according to Matthew), I came pretty close to the original cookie.  Sophie, if you're reading this, don't tell me if I'm way off base!  I want to keep my sense of accomplishment?

Best part about cookies?  You can make enough for your husband to eat in 24 hours (see above picture), and then freeze the rest of the dough for some sort of church event.

Happy shoveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment