Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

Foodbuzz

Friday, February 11, 2011

Whoops I did it again! Wednesday!

I "accidentally" used squash again in a post/recipe.  I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten so much squash since I was a baby.  My mother even suggested I may turn orange, which would be bad because orange is NOT my color.

My love of "blue box" macaroni and cheese is well known and documented, and I'm always looking for ways to make my "healthy" macaroni and cheese more like the blue box variety.  Wednesday I was apparently going for that unnatural orange look.

Except in my case it was natural.

Butternut Squash Mac 'n' cheese

1 tbsp butter
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sage
1/2 a butternut squash, cubed
1 cup macaroni, uncooked
1 cup cheese (your choice), shredded

We're back to steps again.  My organizational type "A" personality likes it.

1) If you have a steamer...STOP...do not pass go, and steam your squash.  Healthier, and more importantly easier.



2) Melt butter, the real stuff, in a pan, whisk in flour and slowly whisk in milk and add spices.  Reduce to a simmer and melt cheese in sauce.



*I'm pretty sure I did this part wrong, oh well.*

3) Cook macaroni and toss pasta in with sauce and squash in a greased baking dish.  Feel free to "smush" it around a bit.

4) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Broil it for a minute or two if you want to make it look fancy.



So unhealthily orange looking, I was almost fooled.  Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment